Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Day 2 - Mod Podge Rocks Ornament!

Welcome to Day 2 of the 12 Days of Handmade Christmas Ornaments!

I really hope you are enjoying these ornaments as much as I am.

Today, Amy @ Mod Podge Rocks is bringing us her sweet star ornament.

It is absolutely adorable! If you are just joining us today, take a minute to look at the Day 1 ornament and be sure to enter my very first giveaway!


Here is Amy...


Well hallo there - this is Amy from Mod Podge Rocks! You may have seen me around, but if you haven't you should know that Mod Podge is one of the best things in the world, at least as far as craft items go. I feature a new Mod Podge project nearly every day from someone awesome on the internet (and some from myself too), so come by and see what we're doing!
My ornament combines several things that I love:
1. Typography - combinations of letters and numbers in fun fonts tickle me.
2. Stars - loved them since I was a child. I even have a sterling silver star bracelet my mother gave me for Christmas when I was 10 - it's one of my most prized possessions.
3. Blue - it's the best color.
4. Buttons - I played with my great-grandmother's collection endlessly when I was young.
5. Polka dots - I've just always had a thing for them. It's either that or stripes every day.
6. Mod Podge - needs no explanation!
Let's get started.
Supplies & Tools:
FolkArt® Acrylic Paint - Teal and Wicker White
Mod Podge® - Gloss
FolkArt® Extreme Glitter - Hologram
Paper Mache Ornament - star shape
Scrapbook paper - 1 sheet of holiday, I used
Brenda Walton Peppermint Twist from K & Co.
Wood numbers - I used "25" for the big day of Christmas
Buttons - 5 small pink or coordinating
Flat Paint Brush
Beacon Premium Tacky Glue
Scissors
Pencil or pen

Grab your ornie and trace it onto the paper face up. Flip over and trace again. I always do this because sometimes items that look normal are actually shaped kind of weird - ie., not the same on both sides. Tracing on both sides is better, you see?
Paint your star with Teal, but only do it around the edges. The paper is going to be covering it, which is nice because you can be a little lazy like me. Make sure to put on several coats since paper mache is harder to cover. I did about three. Allow to dry. Go ahead and paint the numbers at the same time. Allow those to dry too.
Take your Hologram Extreme Glitter and paint the edges. You are going to LOVE this stuff if you like glitter. It goes a long way, and there is no mess. Do about three coats and you'll have a nice little effect.
Start on one side and get your Mod Podge on! Spread Mod Podge over the star, giving a medium coat. Make sure to get the star tips well.
Press down the paper throughly - smooth, smooth, smooth! You can't smooth enough. If Mod Podge comes out the side, simply wipe away with your brush. Repeat with the other side. Allow to dry for 15 - 20 minutes. Then coat the outside with Mod Podge! DON'T coat the Extreme Glitter, because you'll dull the glitter effect. Coat one side, allow to dry, flip over and repeat.
This is really fun. I mean REALLY fun. Take the end of your paint brush and dip into Wicker White - Tap the end of the brush lightly onto the wood letter to get polka dots! You can't tell here, but I'm having a blast.
Now that the ornie is nearly complete, use your Beacon Tacky Glue to glue down the wood letters as well as some button accents. Now doesn't that look nice?


Thanks for visiting, and thank you to Kristin for hosting me here. I hope you will stop by Mod Podge Rocks when you have a chance. I do love visitors. See you soon.

13 comments:

Kelli said...

This is so cute. I think my daughter and I are going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing.

Wes and Dani said...

LOVE it! :) I especially am in love with the pink/teal combo. Swesome!

Dani
craftrookie.blogspot.com

Becca said...

so beautiful Amy!!! YOu know me! I love a non traditional Christmas projects! So cute@!!!

Jana Nielson said...

LOVE IT! I'm going to use this idea to make an advent calendar for next year. Wouldn't that be so cute! Counting down with star ornaments.

Graceandjoelroberts said...

These are so cute! What a great idea!!

Linds said...

AMY STOP! WHAT CUTE COLORS!

Shana said...

LOVE IT!

Bridget said...

Love the pink and aqua, my daughters need a few for their tree!

becky @ becky ann designs said...

That turned out really cute! I made some really cheap but cute paper ornaments with my girls this year. There is a tutorial on my blog www.beckyanndesigns.blogspot.com

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

I need fabric like that paper!

Jaded said...

How lovely! But where did you get the original paper mache star ornament at?

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone! I either got the ornie at Michaels or Hobby Lobby - I can't remember. I SO wish there were fabric in this pattern!

christyanthemum said...

Great post! I just wrote a similar comment at Mod Podge Rocks, but again, thanks to Amy and to Kheany for featuring this simple & easy ornament idea! I made a batch of similar stars, using a thrifted, beat-up Peanuts Christmas book. Check out my ornies here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cshym74/sets/72157622953296091/